Monday, June 27, 2011

Rick Sherker: Racine, WI

I arrived in Racine, WI Thursday afternoon for the third round of the UWP/IJSBA National tour, giving me plenty of time to get the work I needed to do on my race skis done.  Friday I was able to get my testing and setups taken care of as well as try out the newest RS-15 two piece wetsuit from Jettribe while doing so.  It was a no brainer, that this is the suit I was going to wear come race day.  On Saturday, the threatening rains held off, and it was actually a pretty nice day other than the cool temperatures. 

In GP ski, the computer picked starting positions put me on the far outside for the start.  Despite the poor starting position, I got a great jump out of the gate and went into the first turn three wide with MacClugage on the inside, Jim Cebulski, and myself.  Out of the split I found myself in second place, which is where I ended up finishing after 12 laps. 
In Stock Spec ski, I again had bad luck with the computer and started on the far outside, only this time I did not have such a good start and was in fifth place going around the first turn, then third coming out of the splits following Rob Flores and Alec Hohnadell.  Alec bobbled a few laps later going into the split opening the door for me to make a pass on him in the split, putting me second place, where I finished. 
After the first two races on Sunday, the races were put on hold due to dangerous conditions from a heavy fog that never lifted until late in the day.  Even though it ended up being a one moto race for both of my classes, it was a good weekend in the town of Racine.  It was great to have the Jettribe trailer on site and be able to see and test some of the new gear they are developing.  I look forward to going back to the beautiful waters of Lake Michigan and the beaches of Racine again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment